Unruh Insurance


for Your Side Gig

If your side gig includes renting out your car, home, or RV, consider your rental insurance options before you begin.


Renting out your personal property can easily create  a gap or gray areas in your insurance coverage.

Jump to Section:

For Rent: Cars

When you sign up for ridesharing through a site like Turo, you're allowing an outside party to drive your car for a fee.

Ridesharing is outside standard vehicle use, meaning your auto insurance policy may be voided if a claim occurs while your car is rented out.

You may be able to take out a commercial auto policy, but the best thing you can do is call your insurance agent.

Home Hosting

Renting out your home via a site like Airbnb goes beyond what standard home insurance covers.

A few home sharing factors to consider: • Primary home or  rental property? • Short term or long term? • Via Airbnb/VRBO?

Depending upon your previous answers, insurance options may include a commercial policy, rental property insurance, or a home endorsement add-on.

Sites like Outdoorsy offer "protection packages" for renting out your RV, but on a secondary basis (your insurance would pay first).  However...

Renting Your RV

Scribbled Arrow

Many insurance carriers don't permit RV rentals. So if a claim happens while it's rented out, it may be denied. 

A potential solution is finding a company like Progressive that will insure your RV only when it's not being rented out and leave the rental coverage to Outdoorsy.

The Most Important Bit

Side gigs are great for  making extra income. Just make sure you're protected financially.

The single most important thing you can do before you start your side gig is call your insurance agent.