What Makes for the Best Classic Car Insurance?
Your classic car is an investment, but it’s a whole lot more than that, too. It’s your pride and joy, and in a way, it’s part of who you are. When you take it for a lazy Sunday drive or you pop the hood at a car show, you feel a sense of pride. While insurance for your daily car is crucial enough, for your beloved vintage auto, it’s even more important. Here’s everything you need to know about picking the best classic car insurance — and the classic car insurance requirements that go with it!
Classic Car Insurance Requirements
At Unruh Insurance, we’re one of the few Lancaster auto insurance agencies that write classic and antique car insurance. We’re here to help you find the right insurance plan and to understand all of the classic car insurance requirements you need to meet before you’re covered.
Since collector cars are more expensive and more care goes into them, the insurance for them is more complicated, too. Here are the vintage car insurance requirements drivers need to know about:
- Agreed value must be established — This is the amount that the car is insured for. In the event of a total loss, this is the amount of money you will receive to replace it.
- No young drivers allowed — Generally most vintage car insurance plans don’t permit drivers with less than 10 years of driving experience to be added to the policy.
- Low mileage required — A fairly standard requirement, most policies impose annual mileage limits that prevent the cars from being used as daily drivers.
- The car must be kept in a garage — Whether it is your personal garage or a rented space, your classic car must be kept indoors.
- Interior and exterior photos are required when applying for the coverage — You can either take the photos yourself or we can take them. These photos are a classic car insurance requirement across the board.
- No racing — Even if the car was built for performance, if you want to benefit from the best classic car insurance, you very likely won’t be permitted to race it.
- You must report modifications or major work — At the time of applying for the policy, you need to report any and all modifications or updates.
- The liability limits must match your personal auto insurance policy — This requirement means that your liability and tort must match that of your personal auto policy. This is to ensure consistency in case you are ever in an accident. Learn more about full tort vs limited tort.
- NOT REQUIRED: Registering with antique or classic tags — While classic car drivers often will register their cars this way, it is actually not required.
What Your Classic Car Insurance Policy Should Have
The more practical and sentimental value a car has, the more you need to protect it. While good classic car insurance has many similarities with a good auto insurance plan, there are a few key differences. Here’s what the best antique car insurance plans include:
- Collision and Comprehensive — This is recommended for most car insurance plans but is of the utmost importance for high-value vintage vehicles. Simply put, basic liability doesn’t provide enough to cover a classic car — and that means a lot to you. Not only do you want collision to ensure you get the full repairs you need, but you also want comprehensive to keep it protected when it’s off the road as well. For example, if something were to happen while the vehicle was sitting in the garage such as a fire, it would be covered by comprehensive.
- Agreed Value Replacement — Agreed value is the term for the value of the car that both parties agree upon when writing the insurance policy. You want a policy that includes agreed value, which means you’ll receive the full amount in the event of a total loss.
- Fair Premium Price — Even if the value of the vehicle is high, the risk is fairly low. That’s why the best policies also boast a low-cost premium. While your individual policy may differ, we’ve written classic car policies with an agreed value of over $100,000 — for less than $600 per year.
At Unruh Insurance, we have years of experience pairing the drivers of classic cars with the insurance policies that work for them. It’s just one of the insurance specialties that makes us stand out in Central Pennsylvania!
Trust Your Local Agent for the Best Classic Car Insurance
Whether you’re looking for the right insurance for your fuel-efficient, practical every day car — or you’re looking for the best classic car insurance, it all starts with a conversation with your local agent.
Learn more about Unruh Insurance’s upcoming 6th Annual Cruise Night for a Cause!
Stop in one of our convenient locations or give us a call. Our experienced agents will help you find the perfect coverage no matter what you need.
Contact us today to start the conversation — and to get your FREE auto insurance quote!