Penalties for Driving without Insurance in PA
Because it is 100% illegal in PA, there are numerous penalties for driving without insurance, some legal and some financial. The most common legal penalties for driving without insurance are a several hundred dollar fine and a suspended license — the specifics of each vary on a case-by-case basis. In addition, if you are caught driving uninsured, you may experience short and long-term financial consequences as well.
As a large and experienced auto insurance agency, Unruh Insurance has firsthand experience with the importance of sufficient coverage as well as the punishments for driving without it. Drivers have a lot of questions about the consequences of being pulled over for driving without insurance. Some of the most common questions people ask include, “Can you go to jail for driving without insurance?” and, “How much is the fine for driving without insurance?”
If you’re wondering what happens if you get caught driving without insurance, read our blog — and get a car insurance quote to make sure it never happens to you.
What Happens if You’re Caught Driving without Insurance?
Since your prior driving record and the circumstances of you getting caught are different from anyone else’s, no one can tell you what the exact penalties for driving without auto insurance are. However, we can inform you about the most common legal and financial punishments to deter you from ever trying it.
- A Large Fine — In almost every single case, an uninsured driver will be given a fine of some sort. While people often wonder how much the fine is for driving without insurance, it depends on numerous circumstances. Some of the most common fines for driving without insurance range between $100 and $500, but can exceed $1,000 for repeated offenses.
- Suspended License — One of the most common penalties for driving without insurance in PA, an uninsured driver can have their license suspended for a period of time as punishment. A 45-day suspension is one of the most commonly cited periods; however, six-month suspensions occur as well.
- Possible Jail Time — Can you go to jail for driving without insurance? That’s the big question on everyone’s mind. Yes, in some very rare cases, drivers have been sentenced to a few days or weeks in jail for driving without insurance. This charge has occurred in conjunction with a serious accident or multiple offenses.
- Responsibility for ALL Damages — Having auto insurance isn’t just a legal requirement, it’s also a good idea because it keeps you from being liable for massive damages and medical bills. Without the safety net of insurance, an uninsured driver is on the hook completely on his or her own. If you cause an accident while driving uninsured, you will be completely liable for ANY and ALL damages, medical bills, lost wages, and more. This can easily trump the size of the initial ticket.
- Insurance Costs More — If someone has been caught driving uninsured, it sticks with them. Another one of the penalties for driving without insurance is that car insurance costs more in the future — for a long time. After all, insurance companies set a premium by calculating a risk, and in their minds, previously driving without insurance makes someone a serious risk going forward. Learn more about ways to lower your car insurance rate.
- Fewer Options for Insurance — Finally, some insurance companies simply won’t write policies for drivers who have been pulled over for driving without insurance. In fact, this is often a standard practice among premium, national insurance companies. This is just another reason to make sure that you always drive with sufficient insurance coverage.
Free Auto Insurance Quotes from Your Local Agency
If you’re currently without coverage, contact us immediately and you’ll never have to wonder what will happen if you get caught driving without insurance. Unruh Insurance has made our name throughout Pennsylvania by offering competitive auto insurance quotes and second-to-none client service.
We write for a variety of large and small auto insurance companies like Erie, Progressive, and Foremost Insurance Group. In addition, our local insurance agents will take the time, on the phone and in-person, to understand your needs and explain your coverage. Furthermore, if you are ever in an accident, our insurance agents walk you through the claims process and ensure you are supported.
Contact us today to get your free car insurance quote!