Can I Trust Cheap Online Car Insurance?
We all love online shopping — that’s a fact of life in the 21st century. Not only is the convenience factor unbeatable, but shopping online oftentimes allows you to snag the best bargains. So the question is — can you trust cheap online car insurance?
It’s definitely tempting to buy cheap auto insurance online, but at Unruh Insurance, we’ve seen it go wrong too many times for us to recommend it. After seeing drivers who have tried it once and have gotten burned, we think that buying cheap online car insurance is about as appealing as buying sushi online — you can’t trust it, and it could end up leaving you sick to your stomach!
Read our blog to learn more about the risks and pitfalls of online car insurance — and remember, you can also get a quote from your local Unruh auto insurance agent at any time!
Should I Buy Cheap Auto Insurance Online?
When you buy cheap auto insurance online, you aren’t getting a quote from an experienced agent on a custom-tailored insurance plan. You’re picking options out of a list, checking out, and hoping for the best.
Although the price might be good, there are some reasons why very cheap online car insurance backfires.
- Coverage Isn’t Clear — When you buy cheap online car insurance, you’re picking options out of a list without much explanation as to what the options do for you. You need insurance that is determined by your vehicle, your financial situation, and the recommendations of an expert. When you make a decision without expert input, you might wind up missing something BIG. Picking your own insurance coverage at random is like defending yourself in court — risky! Learn more about the difference between full tort and limited tort.
- No Help is Available — In order to legally provide advice or recommendations on insurance coverage, you NEED to be a licensed insurance agent. The people manning the phones at a cheap online car insurance company are most likely not licensed agents and therefore CAN’T advise you even if you ask them too. This leaves you trying to make a challenging and potentially huge decision alone.
- You’re at Risk for Being Underinsured — Frequently when we take a look at a driver’s online-purchased policy, they have holes in their coverage that could cost them big time. For example, we often see policies that are seriously lacking sufficient liability, which can leave you personally facing a HUGE lawsuit if you injure someone in an accident. While saving a few dollars per month is nice enough, going into debt to cover a million dollar lawsuit is not worth it. Learn how to save on auto insurance without cutting coverage.
- Uninsured or Underinsured Driver Risks — In addition to the threat of being liable for someone’s injuries relating to your own driving, some very cheap insurance plans can leave you without coverage to deal with an uninsured driver. This can leave you without a vehicle — or answers — for potentially months on end. While you’d rather everyone be responsible, there are uninsured drivers out there — and it’s smart to be prepared. Learn about the penalties of driving without insurance in PA.
- You Could Miss Out on Valuable Extras — When most people buy cheap car insurance online, they’re shopping for the price tag and totally missing the options that save them way more money long term. Car insurance extras — like first accident forgiveness, total vehicle replacement coverage, and income loss coverage — can be crucial for protecting your financial health. However, very cheap insurance plans never have the room to include these options.
Why You Should Work with a Local Agent
We’ve been in the business long enough to know that insurance can be confusing to some drivers. Since the financial stakes can be so high, it is important to know what your insurance covers — and to have the peace-of-mind that an insurance professional has your back.
When you work with a true local car insurance company, our agents work to build you an insurance plan that keeps you protected while keeping your payments low. In addition, if you ever need to use your coverage, we become your biggest champion, making sure you’re taken care of after an accident!
Learn more about the advantages of working with a local agent.
Your Alternative to Cheap Online Car Insurance
In the modern day and age, the best alternative to cheap online car insurance is something classic and local. When you work with Unruh Insurance, you’re a name — not a number. You can visit one of our two locations in-person when picking coverage or when filing a claim.
Our agents will work with you to understand your situation and your needs to design an insurance plan to match. Not only do you get the peace-of-mind of in-person service, but you also get competitive prices.
Think you might be paying too much now? Get your free auto insurance quote now or stop by one of our offices!