How to Compare Car Insurance Plans
Shopping around is key to getting the very best deals, no matter what you’re looking to purchase — and car insurance is no different. Comparing and contrasting your different options ensures that you get the best coverage at a competitive rate. However, we know understanding the ins-and-outs of car insurance can be a challenge — that’s why we put together a guide on how to compare car insurance plans.
Unruh Insurance is a Lancaster, PA auto insurance agency that focuses on providing a personal, helping touch along with offering great policies. Since helping people is what we’re all about, we’ve put together this blog to help clarify auto insurance comparisons when you’re considering switching policies. These are the essential things you need to know when learning how to compare car insurance plans!
Our Guide to Auto Insurance Comparison
Switching to a different auto insurance policy can be an effective way to get a lower rate, better coverage, superior service, and more. However, when evaluating new policies, it’s important to make sure you aren’t losing the coverage you depend on just to slightly reduce your premiums. Follow along with our guide to auto insurance comparison — and remember, if you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out for help!
- Look at the Coverage Limits — You want to look at the coverage limits, including bodily injury and property damage, on all of the plans you’re comparing. You want to make sure those limits are the same or higher than your current plan, or else you could find yourself facing more out-of-pocket costs in the event of an accident. You also want to know what the insurance covers as far as medical bills associated with auto accidents.
- Compare Tort Options — Since the tort option you select influences your car insurance premium, changing tort options can make for a lower premium. To ensure you’re comparing apples-to-apples, make sure both policies have the same tort option.
Learn more about full tort vs limited tort coverage.
- Evaluate the Endorsements — These add-ons to a policy can provide invaluable benefits for drivers. When people ask how to compare car insurance, we always advise they look at the available add-ons. Make sure that all of the insurance plans you are comparing have the same endorsements. Some of the most crucial endorsements we recommend are newer car replacement in the event of an accident and gap insurance, which pays the difference if your car is worth less than what is owed on it.
- Check Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Coverage — This is an essential type of insurance coverage that protects you financially in the event of an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Always look at this option when comparing plans.
Learn more about the penalties for driving without insurance in PA.
- Compare the Policy Terms — This can be easily overlooked during an auto insurance comparison, but you need to make sure you are evaluating the same coverage time frame. Sometimes drivers think they are getting a better premium, but it turns out to only be better because it’s a 6-month policy term rather than the 12-month term of another policy. If a price is WAY too low, it might be because it only covers half a year — so make sure you check the term length.
- Ask about Service — This can be just as important as getting robust coverage and a great price. Making sure that the insurance company or agency has good customer service is essential during your auto insurance comparison. One of the best ways to get a feel for that is to ask who would handle your claim if you were ever in an accident — a licensed agent or a representative? Working directly with your agent is always the best way to go.
- Price Shop — We know this is the big one. Once you know that you are comparing equally good insurance policies, you can select the lowest price and save every month!
See our 10 BIG car insurance savings secrets!
More than Just Auto Insurance
While we are primarily known for providing auto insurance, we offer much more as well. We write policies in PA for a wide variety of personal property insurance, life insurance, and business insurance. No matter what type of policy we provide for you, you can always count on the personal touch of our local agents.
Learn more about the advantages of a local agent.
Work with Our Agents to Compare Car Insurance Plans
We hope this guide was helpful in teaching you how to compare car insurance plans, but if you still need more information, we can provide that as well. If you’re hunting for new car insurance, we absolutely recommend that you visit one of our local offices or give us a call. Our agents can help you compare all of your options and find the best policy.
Reach out today to schedule a consultation — and for a FREE car insurance quote!